Saturday, February 04, 2006

“I’ve Been Working in the Coal Mine…”

As I’m reading the sections where the craftsmen are making the articles for the Tabernacle (Exodus 37-38), I’m asking myself, “Where did these craftsmen learn how to do their crafts?” And the answer is Egypt. While they were slaves in Egypt, God was using that time to hone their skills. These were master builders and craftsmen, gifted by God, and used both in Egypt and in the desert.

God would use these skills to build Himself a place of worship so the people could glorify God. God got ultimate glory through the gifting of these people.

I can see God placing a person in an office or a school and during that time, that person is learning a skill that will eventually be used to glorify His name. That person may not realize what God is doing, but God in His sovereignty is going to use that skill for a future purpose.

I can think of times when this has happened to me. When I was working at a law firm, there was a legal secretary who essentially taught me the foundations of my administrative skills. When I was working in an advertising agency, the owner taught me entrepreneurial skills. In a para-church ministry, I was learning ministry skills that would shape the teaching ministry. In a church plant, I learned how to have a pioneer spirit. So many lessons learned and skills cultivated along the way.

The things you are learning now God can use in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home