Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why Chinese Shouldn't...

...Translate the English Language.

From a FoxNews.com article:
BEIJING — Along with spitting, run-down housing and bad manners, add unintelligible English to the list of things organizers of the 2008 Beijing Olympics want to ban.

Throughout the city, examples abound.

A store selling tobacco products advertises: "An Excellent Winding Smoke."

On the floor at Beijing's Capital Airport, a sign reads: "Careful Landslip Attention Security."

On a billboard this mysterious message: "Shangri-La is in you mind, but your Buffalo is not."






























3 Comments:

Blogger Bolo said...

I think I've seen that middle photo on the second floor of Carver Hall, the guys' dorms here on campus.

They're all about obedience here, too.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I think the Chinese trump the Japanese in "Engrish" - I haven't seen anything this bad here in Japan. "Window" is probably the name of the store but in this context, it's hilarious! That reminds me of a store I saw in Sannomiya called, "Pearly Gates"!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

For a lot more hilarious examples check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home