Another Night with the Boys
The guys had another great night last night as Mike and Mark went to see “United 93” along with the Lichtenberg’s and the Deming’s, while Manning, Rich and I went to see “The Sentinel.” We met up later at Zippy’s.
This was probably the second to the last time we will be able to spend time with Mark in this kind of environment as he heads off to Japan at the end of this month. The next movie we are planning to watch together is “X-3.”
It was great to see Mike and Mark talk about their teenage years. I believe Mike and Mark became Christians in 1975. During the last semester of their senior year in 1976 at Radford, M & M got to be roommates together as Mark’s family allowed Mike to stay with them as Mike’s family got shipped out. And it is believed that during their whole friendship, they only had one argument…whether or not it was over a girl was not made completely clear.
I may have said this in an earlier post but I must say it again: a whole generation of men and women were impacted in a powerful way by these two men. One of the reasons there is a strong spiritual climate in Hawaii is because of the way Mike and Mark influenced us.
At dinner, Mark brought out some role playing games he found as he was cleaning up his house…Flat Top and some Steve Jackson stuff. These games were formative for a bunch of teenagers during the 80’s as we were growing up in Youth for Christ. From my point of view, Mark was one of the best at organizing role playing games….even to the point of having people dress up in costumes, saluting the to U.S. flag, and staying up all night at Faith Baptist Church. These games have now been entrusted to Manning and Rich as they teach a new generation of gamers.
Here are some things I remember from last night:
“Don’t look into his eyes!” – Mike, after Mark said how our churches in Hawaii should come over to Japan for missions and all Mark wants is one night with the Hawaii people to ask them what they are doing with their lives.
“That sounds like a sexually transmitted disease.” –Manning, after I commented about Rich now having Skype on his PDA.
“I think I’ll use Daniel’s bed.” - Mike, after Mark said there’s a guest room available with a tatami mat because visitors like to experience what Japan is like.
This was probably the second to the last time we will be able to spend time with Mark in this kind of environment as he heads off to Japan at the end of this month. The next movie we are planning to watch together is “X-3.”
It was great to see Mike and Mark talk about their teenage years. I believe Mike and Mark became Christians in 1975. During the last semester of their senior year in 1976 at Radford, M & M got to be roommates together as Mark’s family allowed Mike to stay with them as Mike’s family got shipped out. And it is believed that during their whole friendship, they only had one argument…whether or not it was over a girl was not made completely clear.
I may have said this in an earlier post but I must say it again: a whole generation of men and women were impacted in a powerful way by these two men. One of the reasons there is a strong spiritual climate in Hawaii is because of the way Mike and Mark influenced us.
At dinner, Mark brought out some role playing games he found as he was cleaning up his house…Flat Top and some Steve Jackson stuff. These games were formative for a bunch of teenagers during the 80’s as we were growing up in Youth for Christ. From my point of view, Mark was one of the best at organizing role playing games….even to the point of having people dress up in costumes, saluting the to U.S. flag, and staying up all night at Faith Baptist Church. These games have now been entrusted to Manning and Rich as they teach a new generation of gamers.
Here are some things I remember from last night:
“Don’t look into his eyes!” – Mike, after Mark said how our churches in Hawaii should come over to Japan for missions and all Mark wants is one night with the Hawaii people to ask them what they are doing with their lives.
“That sounds like a sexually transmitted disease.” –Manning, after I commented about Rich now having Skype on his PDA.
“I think I’ll use Daniel’s bed.” - Mike, after Mark said there’s a guest room available with a tatami mat because visitors like to experience what Japan is like.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home