Friday, April 07, 2006

The Bible Is False!

At least that’s what three people/organizations are claiming. I love all the attention that is being given towards the New Testament these days. It really makes people question whether the Gospels we have are actually true.

We know about the DaVinci Code where Dan Brown asserts in his book that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and had a child. Then there is Michael Baigent who claims that Jesus actually survived the crucifixion. And on Sunday (04/09) the National Geographic is going to have a special on the Gospel of Judas that says Judas was actually an accomplice not a traitor to Jesus’ impending death. There isn’t a lot of time and space to go through everything but I will bring these issues up at the six-week class I am doing for the Academy entitled “The DaVinci Code: The Quest for Truth” starting on May 16 at Cornerstone Fellowship Mililani Mauka and also during the weekend services at New Hope Mililani (June 3 at 7pm and June 4 at 8am and 10am).

First, the DaVinci Code is a work of fiction based on actual historical items. The historical items are true but the assertions made about them are false. Here’s a simple example. Dan Brown claims in Leonardo’s painting of “The Last Supper” the person to the right of Jesus is not John the Apostle but Mary Magdalene. There are thirteen people in the painting – Jesus and supposedly the 12 apostles. If one of the apostles is actually Mary Magdalene then where is John the Apostle in the painting? I would think Leonardo would then have painted 14 people altogether.

Second, Baigent’s claim that Jesus survived the crucifixion meant that Jesus actually lived through one of the torturous ways to die in mankind. That also meant that the Roman soldiers didn’t kill Him if he was still living on the cross. The Romans would not have done that. Crucifixion was a sure way to die.

Third, National Geographic claims there is a Gospel of Judas. I wonder when Judas had time to write all this stuff. Maybe right before he committed suicide?

So which one is true? Let’s take it another step. Say two of the three assertions are true. What would that look like?

Let’s combine the thought that Jesus was married (Brown) and didn’t die on the cross (Baigent). That means Jesus carried on a marriage and family until he grew old and died. I would think that there would be more documentation on that than what we have now.

Maybe Jesus was married (Brown) and Judas was an accomplice to Jesus’ death (NG). Then the writings of Judas should say something about Jesus’ widow and orphan that were left behind but I don’t think it says that.

Maybe Jesus didn’t die on the cross (Brown) but Judas was an accomplice to Jesus’ death (NG). Too much of a contradiction.

Yeah, I know you’re not supposed to talk about politics and religion with others – too much controversy. But I actually think this is a great time to ask, “So, what do you think…” Some people may be very sincere in what they believe. I invite you to come and separate fact from fiction either at the six-week class or at the sermon. You can email me for me information at gary.lau@newhopemililani.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home