Friday, October 06, 2006

Happy Birthday Bolo-head

Hey Buddy! Next time I see you, one of these plate lunches will be waiting for you! Wait a minute, I already treated you to this one. You owe me one!



6 Comments:

Blogger Bolo said...

Isn't my presence more than enough of a gift?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hey Gary,
Nice picture ... the bottom one, that is. I miss Ige's pork tofu and Zippy's chili frank plates with mac salad. By the way, I was once told Zippy's secret ingredient was peanut butter...now I'm told it's mayo! Either way, they must be in cahoots with the makers of Lipitor.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Gung Ho said...

Zippy's mac salad...I heard the secret ingredient was Coleman's Dry Mustard. Here's a URL of a thread discussing Zippy's chili and mac salad: http://www.hawaiistories.com/archives/004622.shtml

4:34 PM  
Blogger Gung Ho said...

More Zippy's mac salad: text from an email post. I looks like the special ingredient may be super fine diced onions (along with the onion juice. The same thread also suggested MSG.
http://www.hawaiistories.com/archives/004952.shtml

Aloha. I actually wrote to Zippys to ask for the recipe and this was the response, which I appreciated. Now we just need to figure out the proportions. I am still searching for the coconut dee-lite cake. I tried the guava chiffon but it was too dense...perhaps I made a mistake. The recipes from the Star Bulletin are the same, as far as I can tell.
Aloha.


Dear Deborah,
All Zippy’s recipes are proprietary; however, I am able to provide you with the ingredients so that you may have a chance to experiment with it. Here are the ingredients:

Best Foods Mayonnaise (do not substitute)
Elbow macaroni noodles
Round onions
Celery
Carrots
Salt
Pepper
Mustard

Do not keep any leftovers more than 48 hours after preparation.

Committed to Serve,
Joyce Lee
Customer Service Manager

8:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks for the links, Gary. They led me to Auntie Aloha's Ono Recipes. A good reference when we're craving local food. I've also started asking some of the older ladies in church to teach me to cook Japanese-style (e.g. tenpura, sukiyaki, etc.) Maybe I'll start a website and call it "Ba-Chan's Oishi Recipes"! :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Bolo said...

Mmmmm...I was seriously ono for some hamachi sashimi and poke and hot rice in Chicago...

Of course, this thread ain't helping...

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home