Remembering...Kalani High School
I was in the Kahala area visiting my parents and decided to take a quick drive to Kalani High School, my alma mater.
Update: Included for my sister, video from Kalani to parent's house. Doesn't seem like such a long walk now, but back then it seemed like forever to get home.


This was the 1/4 mile track which I hated. P.E. was definitely not my thing. This was confirmed 20+ years later when I took one of those expensive personality profiles and it showed "Outdoor" as my lowest category out of 15 areas.

They are doing major renovations at the school. Lots of construction going on for every building including the cafeteria. I especially liked the cafeteria during my senior year when I was a cashier for the lunch line. That meant not only free lunches but also double portions of leftover food at times.


The swimming pool was really the only sport I really liked. I would spend my summers swimming in this pool to help with my asthma condition.

This is Room D-10. This was where I took my first accounting class because I thought I was going to follow in my father's footsteps and become a CPA (that idea went down the tubes when I started getting "D's" at UH in accounting class). Kalani only had two different accounting classes. After I finished them in my freshman and sophomore year, I became a Teacher's Aide for Mrs. Sato and got an easy A for my junior and senior years.

This is Room E-24. I took four years of Spanish from Mrs. Butterfield. One of the difficulties for this class was that for two years it was scheduled right after lunch. There were a lot of drool puddles during those years.

This is Room J-3, in the back of the school in the shop class area. This was where I first learned about computers and wrote my first program in BASIC. Back then, the high tech computers were the Radio Shack TRS-80s with 5 1/4 floppys. Mr. Ikei even let me take one home over a Christmas Break and I wrote all sorts of graphic programs.
This was the room I went to during my junior and senior years when there was an assembly. Mr. Ikei gave me a key to the air conditioned computer room and me, Tomo, and Derek would lock ourselves in there and play computer games.
I also fractured my toe in this room. Derek and I were playing paper soccer and my Famolare kicked his Famolare and my big toe area hit the underside of his shoe. I had to go to the hospital. Mr. Ikei laughed at me the next day.



The band room. My sister was a band-geek. I was a computer geek.

The gym where they had assemblies. Hardly saw this place during my junior and senior year. I think the only time I stepped into the gym during my senior year was during graduation rehearsals.



Update: Included for my sister, video from Kalani to parent's house. Doesn't seem like such a long walk now, but back then it seemed like forever to get home.
This was the 1/4 mile track which I hated. P.E. was definitely not my thing. This was confirmed 20+ years later when I took one of those expensive personality profiles and it showed "Outdoor" as my lowest category out of 15 areas.
They are doing major renovations at the school. Lots of construction going on for every building including the cafeteria. I especially liked the cafeteria during my senior year when I was a cashier for the lunch line. That meant not only free lunches but also double portions of leftover food at times.
The swimming pool was really the only sport I really liked. I would spend my summers swimming in this pool to help with my asthma condition.
This is Room D-10. This was where I took my first accounting class because I thought I was going to follow in my father's footsteps and become a CPA (that idea went down the tubes when I started getting "D's" at UH in accounting class). Kalani only had two different accounting classes. After I finished them in my freshman and sophomore year, I became a Teacher's Aide for Mrs. Sato and got an easy A for my junior and senior years.
This is Room E-24. I took four years of Spanish from Mrs. Butterfield. One of the difficulties for this class was that for two years it was scheduled right after lunch. There were a lot of drool puddles during those years.
This is Room J-3, in the back of the school in the shop class area. This was where I first learned about computers and wrote my first program in BASIC. Back then, the high tech computers were the Radio Shack TRS-80s with 5 1/4 floppys. Mr. Ikei even let me take one home over a Christmas Break and I wrote all sorts of graphic programs.
This was the room I went to during my junior and senior years when there was an assembly. Mr. Ikei gave me a key to the air conditioned computer room and me, Tomo, and Derek would lock ourselves in there and play computer games.
I also fractured my toe in this room. Derek and I were playing paper soccer and my Famolare kicked his Famolare and my big toe area hit the underside of his shoe. I had to go to the hospital. Mr. Ikei laughed at me the next day.


The band room. My sister was a band-geek. I was a computer geek.
The gym where they had assemblies. Hardly saw this place during my junior and senior year. I think the only time I stepped into the gym during my senior year was during graduation rehearsals.
3 Comments:
Gary, you turned out to be pretty cool for a guy who was such a nerd ;)
kalani didn't seem to change all that much actually, except maybe a fresh coat of paint and a new sign. no new buildings, no torn down ones. yes that walk used to especially irritate me when it was election time and all the representatives and their supporters would hog the whole sidewalk. anyways... good school overall, i'm surprised you didn't mention Mrs Tanaka, I remember when she talked to me all those years ago, asking me how you were when she knew I was your sister and how much she liked you...
I forgot about Mrs. Tanaka. She was a really good teacher when I had her for geometry. I should go back and take a picture of her room. If I remember it was the bottom of E-Building.
Post a Comment
<< Home